News, News-buzz

Public Awareness Campaign to Fight Fake News

PRIME Minister Allen Chastanet and his Cabinet colleagues are relying on the understanding of Saint Lucians and not on legislation to fight the publicizing of fake news about COVID-19, how it is handled by the authorities and various other things that could be said about the virus.

How the Prime Minister and his colleagues plan to find a solution to end the spread of fake news is unclear, as he has yet to identify a solid measure that would curtail this level of irresponsibility by some persons, however he is clear that a solution must be found, “something we have to do collectively.”

Image of Tourism Minister Dominic Fedee.
Tourism, Information and Broadcasting Minister Dominic Fedee

“Everyone,” he said, “must condemn this.”

Chastanet, Friday, said solving the fake news problem would require more than policy.

Meanwhile Tourism, Information and Broadcasting Minister Dominic Fedee said that government is engaging the private sector to come up with a strong collation to combat the spread of false information.

“We will be going on the assault with a comprehensive and effective public awareness campaign to help spread the right information through the right channels,” Fedee said.

He said government met with media owners to get their support and join the collation government is building to tackle the span of false information in the country.

Fedee said there is just too much to lose if false information goes unchecked. He pointed to the gains Saint Lucia has made since opening its border for international business in early July, gains such as 5000 jobs now on stream in the hospitality sector, extra flights coming into the country; and the confidence long haul airline, Thompson Airlines has in Saint Lucia.

Other gains, according to Fedee are the re-opening of hotels on the island, 80 percent of which are presently in operation with all hotels expected to be back in business in January.

Micah George is an established name in the journalism landscape in St. Lucia. He started his journalism tutelage under the critical eye of the Star Newspaper Publisher and well known journalist, Rick Wayne, as a freelancer. A few months later he moved to the Voice Newspaper under the guidance of the paper’s recognized editor, Guy Ellis in 1988.

Since then he has remained with the Voice Newspaper, progressing from a cub reporter covering court cases and the police to a senior journalist with a focus on parliamentary issues, government and politics. Read full bio...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *