Inter-Commercial Futsal League Heats Up

THE Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture Inter-Commercial House Futsal League competition continued last evening with semifinal action at the Beausejour Indoor Facility.

From 6:30 p.m. Windjammer played Peter and Company Distributors (PCD) and Telecommunication FLOW battled it out with Ark Teleservices (Arktel) for a final spot at 7:30 p.m.

Image: Lively action in front of goal between Windjammer and WLBL; Arktel goalkeeper Quain Williams came up with a big save during the penalty shootout against LUCELEC.   (Photo: Anthony De Beauville)
Lively action in front of goal between Windjammer and WLBL; Arktel goalkeeper Quain Williams came up with a big save during the penalty shootout against LUCELEC. (Photo: Anthony De Beauville)

Last Saturday evening, there was much excitement and rivalry in quarterfinals action as WLBL went down to Windjammer Hotel 3-1. For Windjammer, the goal scorers were Jason Sydney in the 10th minute, Tyson Fedee in the 15th minute and Yannick George in the 16th minute. Miguel Charles pulled one back for WLBL in the 27th minute.

The night was also a good one for Ark Teleservices (ARKTEL) when they took on LUCELEC. Chad St. Clair opened the scoring for LUCELEC in the 9th minute but Dwight Thomas and Donavan Sealy’s quick strikes for Arktel in the 16th and 20th minutes turned the odds against LUCELEC.

Luck struck for LUCELEC again in the 23rd minute when they were awarded a penalty which they scored to equalize, sending the game into a penalty shootout after regulation time.

Arktel won 3–1 and kudos must go out to Arktel goalkeeper Quain Williams for his brave effort between the uprights. He saved the second penalty shot to secure his team’s semifinal berth.

The thrill and excitement went up a few notches for the third qualifier between Peter and Company Distributors Lucozade and WASCO.

Peter and Company Distributors (PCD) opened the scoring in the 3rd minute of play through Ashley Edward. Despite several attempts to goal at either end of the BIF by both teams, the scoreline remained 1-0 up until the halftime whistle.

On the resumption, the teams upped the tempo and Renee Joseph equalized for WASCO in the 36th minute. Two quick strikes from Nilan William in the 39th minute and the other by Tard Modeste in the 40+1 minute added time gave PCL a much-deserved victory on the night to silence the WASCO supporters.

In the final match on the evening, FLOW trounced Saint Lucia Teachers Union 7-3. The defending champions, SLTU, had no answer to FLOW’s all-round performance as FLOW’s fast- paced game and solid defense proved too much.

Niger Francis opened the scoring for SLTU in the 5th minute of play and then quickly made it 2-0 in the 7th minute through Dyke Francis, much to the delight of their fans. But FLOW crawled back into the game when Aaron Sylvester pulled one back in the 12th minute. Marlon Christopher’s strike in the 15th minute gave them the equalizer while Anthony James gave them the lead in the 19th minute to secure the halftime advantage.

The resumption after halftime saw two quick strikes from FLOW’s Kissinger Anthony in the 26th and 28th minutes to stretch the lead to 5-2. SLTU pulled one back in the 30th minute from Nehemiah Wilfred. From there, it was all FLOW as Anthony Christopher added another in the 36th minute and Anthony James sealed his team’s semifinal spot with his second goal on the night in the 39th minute.

Anthony De Beauville is The VOICE Publishing Company’s multi-award winning sports journalist. He works closely with a number of sports federations including the Department of Youth Development and Sports, the Saint Lucia Olympic Committee and other organizations.

He covers and contributes articles highlighting the areas of international, regional, national, community based clubs and schools sporting activities. There is never an off day as he stays busy... Read full bio...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *