News, News-buzz, Trending

Carbon Monoxide Halts School and Work in L’ Anse Road

Fire personnel who were called in shortly after 9:00 a.m. confirmed the report of a potential gas leak which has halted work at some business establishments and educational facilities in the L’ Anse Road area.

Staff from WASCO and other business establishments and educational facilities in the L’ Anse Road area have been evacuated as a result of a gas leak report.

Staff from the Water and Sewerage Company Inc., WASCO as well as students of the Camille Henry Memorial School were evacuated from their respective premises this morning due to the presence of carbon monoxide.

At press time, there were no reports of injury or hospitalization of individuals as a result of the evacuation.

Traffic is being diverted from the John Compton Highway into San Souci, for vehicles heading to the north.

As vehicles are not being allowed into the area, some parents of students at the Camille Henry Memorial School have taken to walking into the area to pick up their children from the Bethel Dome site. Though the Carmen Rene Memorial School remains open, some parents have opted to pick up their children from the school out of concern.

H&L Environmental Services is continuing investigations into the other possible gases present. Fire personnel are still on the scene.

Update: The Camille Henry Memorial School and nearby gas station areas tested positive for carbon monoxide and other volatile gases. Two persons are reported to have collapsed in the WASCO building this morning . However, the ambulance is not reported to have made any emergency responses.

More details as they become available.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *