News

WASCO Taps Out – Water Supply Shutting Off Wednesday

Image: WASCO's Managing Director, Vincent Hippolyte. [Photo: Stan Bishop]
Image: WASCO's Managing Director, Vincent Hippolyte. [Photo: Stan Bishop]
WASCO’s Managing Director, Vincent Hippolyte. [Photo: Stan Bishop]

Water supply to the island’s north will be adversely affected all day next Wednesday as the Water and Sewerage Company Inc. (WASCO) embarks on sourcing adequate supply of water during the current dry spell.

This measure forms part of WASCO’s contingency plan to keep the taps flowing, the company’s Managing Director, Vincent Hippolyte, told the media yesterday. Hippolyte said the interruption becomes necessary as WASCO prepares to place a recently-purchased US$47,000 water pump on the John Compton Dam to pump water up from the dam’s second column.

WASCO will also on Wednesday, seek to address some of the problems associated with leaks in its raw water lines.

Hippolyte said the current drought conditions continue to intensify, forcing the company to come up with creative and proactive ways of servicing its many customers with potable water. The water level at the dam, he said, continues to drop.

“We want to reiterate what the Met Office has been saying and that is we expect to be in drought conditions until September. So we have ahead of us a few months. What it means for us at WASCO is that we must plan to be able to sustain ourselves right through to that period,” Hippolyte said.

Hippolyte said the water levels in most of the island’s 33 intakes have been diminishing with some areas experiencing worse effects than others. He added that some communities in the west, south and east of the island have problems with water supply while others do not.

As for Castries, water supply has been affected due partly to the John Compton Dam’s inability to store water to its optimal capacity as a result of heavy silting. The current El Niño effect has also served to exacerbate WASCO’s water supply capacity.

The lack of adequate rainfall is also worsening the island’s water supply and Hippolyte said WASCO has since had to activate other sources of water, including the Vanard and Ravine Poisson systems, installing standpipes and water tanks in some communities, and trucking water to schools and hospitals.

Hippolyte said the rationing and valving schedule instituted by WASCO recently will intensify depending on the severity of the circumstances. He is, therefore, urging citizens to use water sparingly and not indiscriminately.

Hippolyte said if needed the 12 million gallons of water available at the Deglos plant would be made available to the public who can obtain that water by visiting the plant.

Hippolyte said the study undertaken to determine the way forward for desilting the John Compton Dam has been completed and the appropriate measures are being taken before the desilting phase begins.

Stan Bishop began his career in journalism in March 2008 writing freelance for The VOICE newspaper for six weeks before being hired as a part-time journalist there when one of the company’s journalists was overseas on assignment.

Although he was initially told that the job would last only two weeks, he was able to demonstrate such high quality work that the company offered him a permanent job before that fortnight was over. Read full bio...

2 Comments

  1. “… water supply has been affected due partly to the John Compton Dam’s inability to store water to its optimal capacity as a result of heavy silting.”
    —————————————————————————————————————————–

    This is what the STAR had to say about the Dam in April 2014:
    Notwithstanding last week’s Kumbaya road trip by MPs from both the UWP and SLP, the situation at the Sir John Compton Dam has undoubtedly been compounded by their own ineptitudes. There has been inaction on both sides of the political fence where the Sir John Compton Dam is concerned, and for that matter, the nation’s water catchment areas and water itself.

    The slogan “water is life” has been bandied around for some time now. However the politician has always touted himself as the lifegiver, smiling proudly when he or she opens a new public water source, standpipe or what used to be known as a “freeness.”

    The problems with the silt at the dam were an issue long before Hurricane Tomas, as The STAR underscored last week. As with many things built in Sir John Compton’s name (think Millenium Highway), the dam has suffered much neglect over the years and now we are about to pay the price. A high one at that. The only solution is for the Government to bleed our pockets for more taxes, even after a more than sixty percent hike in water rates.

    In the past, several attempts have been made by WASCO to go through a tendering process for the desilting. But for one reason or another, no one has been awarded that contract.

    According to two sources The STAR spoke with last week, submissions were made to WASCO by private firms for the dredging of the dam way back in 2011.

    “This was put on hold pending a study conducted by USAID in 2012,” one source says, adding: “Government then reportedly approved financing of EC$3.1 million to start the project towards the end of 2012. However that was never acted upon by the former WASCO bosses.”

    In April of 2013, the National Water Commission approved a hike in water rates, with special provisions being made to allocate money for the desilting of the dam.

    “However only the road to the dam was rehabiltated,” another STAR source revealed.

    Last year, a new notice appeared in the newspapers for “consultancy to the desilting project,” folllowed by a tendering notice for “desilting.” This was followed by yet another indepth study of the dam by a German company and yet another tendering notice.

    “In February 2014 there was a notice for yet another feasibility study and we are now wondering what is going on,” one contractor says.

    “Something just seems amiss about this whole thing and WASCO.”

    However, dredging expert Victor Hamlin, whose comments were featured in The STAR story on Saturday, April 19th, is reluctant to place all the blame squarely at WASCO’s feet.

    “WASCO does not have control over their own money. The engineers at WASCO are not getting the tools they need. That is sad and it has been going on forever,” Hamlin says.

    “But this is past WASCO. This in the hands of government ministers. WASCO can only issue small contracts of about EC$20,000. Any big contracts have to go through Government and that’s where the delays begin.”

    Hamlin went on to express the view that WASCO does have a high level of technical workers within the company.

    “They always had it, people who have gone all over the Caribbean creating water intakes and staff that is prepared to handle situations under tough circumstances. But who handles the money for these things? It is not WASCO: it is government. WASCO has always been put aside and not given the urgent attention it deserves, so the dam is suffering the same fate.”

    Hamlin also thinks that local contractors have had many setbacks because of the information that was requested in the tendering process.

    “I heard a particular minister say that local contractors are not capable. I say that’s a lot of baloney. If you are building a house, you hire a contractor and you specify what you want. WASCO never specified what they needed and that was left to the imagination of the people bidding.”

    Since the water company never set proper parameters for contractors, the whole process was flawed, the dredging expert says.

    Following the submission by the water commission, Hamlin feels that the problems with the dam should have been addressed immediately.

    “WASCO should have started by looking at who is available locally, what sort of equipment those contractors have, as well as what are the sources of funding available to them,” he says.

    Hamlin, who is now a consultant, excavated the boulders used to build the Sir John Compton Dam and helped in the drilling process. In recent years WASCO has utilized his skills as a diver at the dam to check on faults and valves.

    Last week Hamlin told The STAR that there were silting problems at the dam that needed attention long before Tomas.

    “We should have started dredging about four years after the dam was built,” he stated.

    He described the Sir John Compton Dam as “special,” since it is built within an area where the water intake always produces silt.

    “Five years after the dam was completed and was operational, we had already lost 25-30 percent of the volume of water. Since 2001-2002 we should have seen this coming,” he says.

    He explained to The STAR that there are options open to WASCO when it comes to desilting, but he is urging government to consult with local contractors without further delay.

    “We have contractors here with all the equipment, who have worked in other islands. The authorities need to speak to them. All the studies are there. The report from the water commission is there. We just have to act wisely and quickly.”

  2. CK – interesting to read. I think the problem with the ongoing maintenance of the dam is typical of everything built in st lucia. No thought is ever given to repair, who is going to do it, who is going to supervise it, who is going to pay for it. If it was run more like a business, there would be a greater emphasis on looking after the infrastructure. The problem is that so much money is now needed to fix it, I don’t think the country is ready for the price increases.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *