IT was a moment of celebration at the 20th Annual Awards and launching of the 21st year of Junior Achievement (JA) at the Golden Palm Events Centre, Rodney Bay on Thursday. All schools which participated in the programmes were recognized for their efforts over the past year with primary schools receiving certificates of participation and students of the company programme being awarded trophies, bursaries and certificates.
Among the specially invited guests were Patron of JA Governor General Dame Pearlette Louisy, Counselor Edward Tao of the Taiwanese Embassy, Ministers of government, Permanent secretaries, corporate sponsors, National Queen Ms. Tyler Theophane, members of the St Lucia Chamber of Commerce, Industry and Agriculture and JA Board of Directors.
In an address Ms. Theophane inspired students to“take every opportunity which the programme offers, saying it was “a very rewarding and informative programme”
The featured Guest Speaker Managing Director of Meme Bete Mrs. Tarriba do Nascimento shared her experience on becoming an entrepreneur and providing inspiration to the students.
The highlight of the ceremony was the presentation of awards to Company programme participants as follows:
1. National Achiever of the Year 2015/2016
• 1st place – Nina William of Choiseul Secondary School and received a Trophy, certificate and Bursary of EC$3,000.00.
• 2nd place – Jeanest Isidore of Piaye Secondary School and received a Trophy, certificate and a Bursary of EC$2,500.00.
• 3rd place – Stever Tanisha Louis of Corinth Secondary School and received a Trophy, Certificate and a CXC Voucher valued at EC$500.00.
2. Company Awards
• Best Attendance – Classic Jewels of the Gros Islet Secondary School
• Best Records – Go Green Enterprise of the C.A.R.E Odsan
• Highest Return on Investment Award – Crafty Unique Creations of the Choiseul Secondary School
• The Governor General’s award for Innovation, Originality and Creativity – Go Green Enterprise of the C.A.R.E Odsan and
• Most improved school – CARE – Odsan
Company of the Year 2015/2016
– 1st place – Crafty Unique Creations of the Choiseul Secondary School
– 2nd place – Fruitilicious Delights of the Piaye Secondary School
– 3rd place – Classic Jewels of the Gros Islet Secondary School