News, Top Story

Is Kidnapping an Emerging Trend? Suspects Arrested in Two Incidents

TWO recent kidnappings, one in Castries and the other in Gros Islet do not signify an emerging trend in that specific area of criminal activity according to Wayne Charlery, Assistant Commissioner of Police with responsibility for Crime and Intelligence Management.

Charlery told reporters yesterday that suspects in the two cases have been arrested with one being denied bail while police are in search of another said to be on the loose.

He did not give in depth information about the kidnapping in Gros Islet except to say that two of the perpetrators have been charged and are currently on bail while police are pursuing another suspect for that crime.

The kidnapping that actually had the country talking was the one having to do with an 18-year-old female after she posted a video of herself on social media taking on her critics for saying she was kidnapped.

Charlery did not delve into the video posted by the young woman but expressed that anything that will assist police in solving crimes is appreciated, including anything appearing on social media.

However, he confirmed that an individual named Antonius Jn Baptiste also known as Antonius Remy has been charged with the offence of kidnapping. He has been denied bail and is presently being housed at the Bordelais Correctional Facility.

According to Charlery, on Friday 23rd August, 2019 about 1:00 p.m. officers attached to the Criminal Investigation Department of the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force responded to a report of a kidnapping made by the mother of the young woman from Ciceron, Castries on behalf of the 18-year-old indicating as the kidnapper, the young woman’s ex-boyfriend, Antonius Jn Baptiste.

Jn Baptiste was arrested Tuesday 27th August, 2019 and charged with kidnapping. He was taken to court last Friday where bail was denied.

Micah George is an established name in the journalism landscape in St. Lucia. He started his journalism tutelage under the critical eye of the Star Newspaper Publisher and well known journalist, Rick Wayne, as a freelancer. A few months later he moved to the Voice Newspaper under the guidance of the paper’s recognized editor, Guy Ellis in 1988.

Since then he has remained with the Voice Newspaper, progressing from a cub reporter covering court cases and the police to a senior journalist with a focus on parliamentary issues, government and politics. Read full bio...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *