Attempts to save two small businesses in Castries proved futile in the wake of an early morning fire. Fire service officials confirmed receiving the distress call at approximately 1:55 a.m. about a fire on Victoria Street, Castries.
According to Acting Assitant Divisional Officer Anwar Deterville, on arrival, Firefighters from Headquarters encountered a small wooden structure fully engulfed in flames and fire spreading to a nearby structure.
Although the crew was able to prevent the fire from damaging other structures in the vicinity, one vending structure was completely destroyed and another badly damaged.
The area, a well-known spot for small restaurants and bars was home to some of the best barbecue chicken in the city.
A thorough investigation into the fire was promised by authorities.
How is it possible for the City to allow unregulated huts to sprout overnight in a tightly dense part of the City, in violation to many regulations regarding the construction and protection of structures. The Sanitary, Water provision and run-off, Fire-protection, Alarm system, the Spatial-distance between other buildings or structures.
Why do the City Mayor and Councilmen, and Resident Member of Parliament, sit back and allow the City of Castries look like a Middle East Bazaar where anything goes. I empathize with the poorer members in our society, who must make a decent living, but should be done in a structured manner so as to avoid circumstances of a complete break down of healthy living in a City.