THE National Mental Wellness Centre has confirmed a localised outbreak of the COVID-19 Virus, fol-lowing confirmation of a positive test from one of its patients just under two weeks ago.
The Millennium Heights Medical Complex (MHMC) clinical and infection control team commenced contact tracing and testing of the facility’s patients and staff. A total of 86 patients and staff were test-ed with 19 patients and 15 staff testing positive for COVID-19. The Center is part of the MHMC.
The MHMC has put certain measures in place and has taken certain actions to contain the spread and protect staff and patients at the institution. These measures and actions are as follows:
• Isolation of confirmed patients – creation of an isolation ward within the facility
• Testing of the remaining patients and staff
• Isolation of suspect cases
• Strict monitoring and adherence to sanitation and hygiene measures
• Limited and controlled movement of patients
• Halt of visitation to the facility. MHMC management and team continue to monitor the situation at Centre to ensure successful containment and mitigation of further spread.
“We urge everyone to follow the protocols to prevent the spread of COVID including: Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol based sanitizer. Wear your mask properly, covering your nose and mouth, avoid touching your face. Social distance, stay more than 6 feet apart, avoid gatherings and stay at home except to get medical care,” a spokesperson from the MHMC stated.
The management and staff of the MHMC appeals to the public to comply with the new measures to contain the spread of the virus and for each member of the public to put his/her health first.