The National Workers Union (NWU) is in the process of establishing a Security Guards Workers Council.
The Council which will be a Unit of the NWU’s Operations will be selected from among security Guads employed with seven Security companies represented by the National Workers Union. These include:
1. G4S Secure Solutions (St. Lucia) Ltd.
2. General Security Services Ltd.
3. Government Security Workers
4. Guardsman Saint Lucia Limited
5. ICON Security Company Ltd.
6. Secure St. Lucia Ltd.
7. Sentinel Security Services Ltd.
Standardization will be a key focus of that Council. The specific objectives will be as follows:
1. Consolidation of workers within the Security Services Sector.
2. Standardization of overall working conditions within the Security Services Sector.
3. Establishment of a grading policy
4. Harmonization of customary benefits within this sector.
5. Establishment of a minimum wage for that sector.
It is envisaged that initially, the Council will meet once monthly. Educational activities will be undertaken so as to enhance the personal development of the security guards.