THIS is another in a series of articles intended to expose our readers to pertinent information regarding their fitness efforts. It is produced mainly on the basis of research done by Rodriguez “Rodja” Constantine, who’s a Fitness Consultant, the owner of REPTS (Registered Exercise Professionals & Therapists) and co-producer and host of THE FIT FACTOR on Rhythm Fm
Coffee: The Sports Brew That Can “Do” For You
There’s nothing like an icy cold or hot coffee to start the day. Besides its great taste and cobweb-clearing abilities, coffee can give you a workout boost. When used in moderation and with a strategy in mind, it’s a perfect performance-enhancer.
A pre-workout espresso or regular ol’ cup of joe can:
1. Help you burn more calories. According to a February 2015 report in the International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, subjects who drank about 12 ounces of coffee pre-workout burned about 15% more calories than those who didn’t.
2. Boost your circulation. What’s interesting about the beloved brew is that both coffee lovers and occasional java drinkers can benefit from some of its pluses. For example, a Japanese study cited in Health magazine found that even occasional coffee drinkers experienced better blood flow when they drank a cup before working out.
3. Enhance your performance. Better blood flow means better circulation and that means more oxygen to your muscles. Better oxygenation enhances exercise performance. Everybody wins.
4. Get you psyched and feeling stronger. According to a New York Times story, a 2011 Coventry University study found subjects who drank a caffeinated beverage before weight training felt stronger, put more work into their training sessions and were more psychologically ready to continue their workouts than those who abstained. So, which way to the nearest Rituals?
5. Make you last longer. The New York Times also noted that caffeine increases the prevalence of fatty acids in the bloodstream. This sounds like a bad thing, but it’s not: Those deposits fuel your running, pedaling and strength training, which means you can save your limited stash of carbs for later in your workout.
Making Joe Work for You Now that you know the wonders of caffeine, you may be asking, “How much is enough?” The answer is different for each of us. Not only does everyone metabolize caffeine differently, but also the amount in each cup varies. For best results, test different amounts and scale back if you get the jitters, a sour stomach or other unappealing side effects. For most people, one to two cups per day is plenty.
Now that you know how caffeine can benefit your fitness plan, what are you waiting for? Start making those pre-gym coffee dates now.
Keeping on your fitness game–with or without a personal trainer– is easier than ever with Repts4Life workouts.here’s a fitness programme to help you shed unwanted pounds, trim excess body fat, and sculpt a lean body. Personalized programmes are also available for a nominal fee. In the mean time, take advantage of our ongoing special:
GET FREE GYM ACCESS PLUS 10% OFF YOUR MONTHLY PERSONAL TRAINING FEES when you Sign-up for any group personal training package within 1 week of liking and sharing our face book page/cover photo/videos etc at facebook.com/repts.fitness. Each package comes with a FREE diet. Renew on time EACH MONTH and keep getting that discount plus free FREE gym membership. PACKAGES START AT $100. Returning clients pay NO REGISTRATION. Gift Certificates & FREE Trial Sessions are available! For more info call 722-3763.
REPTS( Registered Exercise Professionals & Therapists) is a Personal Training Gym with locations in both Castries (upstairs Kaycees on Brazil Street opposite the Square) and Rodney Bay (opposite RJ Clarke).REPTS offers all inclusive upgradeable fitness packages (Personal and small Group Training, Body Analysis, Nutrition Counselling and Planning, FREE Gym Membership, Classes and etc.) for one affordable monthly fee. Rodja also designs long term fitness plans and short term workout routines for use at home, your current gym, or when travelling. Skype Training is also available for those who live abroad or travel too frequently to maintain a consistent training programme at home. Call 758-722-3763 for details and to schedule a FREE consultation and trial session. You can also visit repts online at reptsfitness.com or on facebook at facebook.com/repts.fitness.