News, Top Story

Cabinet to Weigh St. Omer Family’s Call for Inquiry

Joy St. Omer
Joy St. Omer [Photo credit :ALR Youth and Sports Council]
In a statement issued on August 18, the Office of the Prime Minister confirmed receipt of correspondence from the family of Joy St. Omer requesting an independent investigation into the circumstances surrounding her death. Noting that the request was received on Monday morning, August 17, it was further announced that the request will be presented to Cabinet, opening the possibility of a wider examination of how state agencies respond to women facing domestic violence.

Joy St Omer, 24, was killed on May 20. Her estranged husband has been charged in connection with her death and the criminal matter is before the courts.

This pronouncement comes following a press conference held by the St. Omer family on Tuesday during which the mother of the deceased Joy shared that proposed inquiry would independently examine how police handled reports of domestic violence, how protection orders are enforced, and whether information concerning cases, bail and court proceedings in particular, is adequately communicated between the relevant authorities.

The family noted that leading up to her passing, Joy had sought help from multiple state agencies and had a protection order when she was killed.

The family also wants scrutiny of the capacity of agencies dealing with domestic and gender-based violence, including whether they have sufficient resources and appropriately trained personnel.

For the family, the question is ultimately whether the existing system is capable of protecting a woman who continues to face threats despite seeking assistance.

The request comes as questions continue to surround the institutional handling of Joy’s case, including the circumstances surrounding bail granted to the accused before her death.

Those questions were put to senior police officials during a press conference Wednesday.

Acting Superintendent Annanthar Wilson, head of the Central Division, said the Royal Saint Lucia Police Force recognised the family’s concerns and would cooperate with any Commission of Inquiry established by the Governor General.

Wilson also said the police could not establish such a commission themselves as that power is vested with the Governor General.

The force was pressed on whether it had conducted a formal internal review following Joy’s death. Wilson, unable to confirm whether specific reviews had been undertaken, acknowledged that agencies involved in the Joy’s case

Commissioner Verne Garde, meanwhile, drew a distinction between police prosecution at the Magistrate’s Court and proceedings in the High Court, explaining that matters reaching the High Court fall under the direction of the Director of Public Prosecutions.

The police leadership maintained that officers had carried out the responsibilities expected of the force in Joy’s case, while directing questions about decisions at the High Court stage to the DPP.

The competing concerns have placed renewed attention on the links between police, prosecutors and the courts when domestic violence cases escalate.

For now, however, the immediate decision lies with Cabinet.

Pierre’s office affirmed “his Government’s commitment to protect all citizens, particularly women, children and vulnerable persons.”

Whether that commitment will translate into a Commission of Inquiry into the systems surrounding Joy St Omer’s case will be determined following Cabinet’s consideration of the family’s request.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Send this to a friend