PRESS RELEASE – THE Vieux Fort Carnival Association (VFCA), at a general meeting held on Tuesday, December 5, elected a new executive committee to steer the 2018 Carnival season. However, since it was necessary for structural reform, and the implementation of a constitution which has been lacking for quite some time, another general meeting was called on Tuesday, December 19, where a Constitution was adopted and the structural reform process was completed.
In the interest of transparency, democracy and in an effort to build the required confidence in the membership of the VFCA, it was agreed that the present executive committee be an interim executive committee for the period 2017–2018.
The newly-elected interim executive committee consists of the following: Bary Hunte, President; Nyola Prescott, Vice President; Gail Prescott, Treasurer; Tamla Lionel, Secretary; Rosemarie Jn. Baptiste, Asst. Secretary/Treasurer; Tresha Lionel, PRO; Rayna Arlette, Trustee; and Donally Lionel, Trustee.
Tony Wilkinson of Telwilky Productions Inc. was conferred with the position of honorary member and official advisor to the VFCA.
Eight Carnival bands were represented at the meeting: Meltdown XD Carnival Band, Phoenix Carnival Band, Xcitement Carnival Band, Fleur De Lis Carnival Band, Outkast Revellers Carnival Band, Lespwi Vaval Carnival Band, Two Dayz of Peace Carnival Band and the Vieux Fort Primary School Junior Carnival Band.
The theme for Vieux Fort Carnival 2018 will be “Emergence: Unveiling Vieux Fort’s Euphoric Potential!”
At the meeting, the interim president, Bary Hunte, unveiled the planned calendar of events for 2018 to the membership, and also the VFCA Judges’ Manual which will be implemented from 2018 and beyond.
Several key components will need to be developed for furthering the development of Vieux Fort Carnival and it is hoped that the public support and volunteer their services to ensure the success and growth of the Vieux Fort Carnival product.
The main 2018 calendar of events will each come with new formats from judging to procedures.
The 2018 calendar of events is as follows:
1. Vieux Fort 2018 Carnival Press Launch – Saturday, February 10, 2018
2. Official 2018 Vieux Fort Carnival Launch – Saturday, April 7, 2018
3. Carnival City 2018 – Saturday, May 12, 2018
4. Junior Carnival Queen Pageant 2018 – Saturday, June 16, 2018
5. Junior Carnival Parade of the Bands – Sunday, June 17, 2018
6. J’Ouvert 2018 – Sunday, July 8, 2018
7. Senior Carnival Parade of the Bands – Sunday and Monday, July 8 and 9, 2018
8. Prize-giving Ceremony – Saturday, August 4, 2018
Several other initiatives will be held to promote and market Vieux Fort Carnival 2018 to encourage national participation in the various events and to increase turn out by residents of the south.
1. The Vieux Fort Carnival Association extends an invitation to all interested persons twenty-six years and older, living in Choiseul, Laborie, Vieux Fort, Micoud and Dennery, who are interested in undergoing training and serving as judges for carnival events in Vieux Fort and by extension the south to contact us via email addressed to Tamla Lionel, Secretary, Vieux Fort Carnival Association at firstname.lastname@example.org or via telephone at 720-7595 by January 31, 2018. This is an effort to create a trained and certified pool of judges for southern community carnivals.
2. The Vieux Fort Carnival Association invites all young ladies residing in Vieux Fort to take part in the first-ever Junior Carnival Queen Pageant. You must reside in Vieux Fort, attend a secondary school and be in forms 3 or 4. You must be 14 years to 17 years old. If you’re 13 years old, you must turn 14 years by June 16, 2018 and if you’re 17 years old, you cannot turn 18 years before September 31, 2018 to qualify. You must have good grades as well. An audition will be held at the Vieux Fort Primary School on Saturday, January 13 from 9:00 a.m. You are asked to:
i. Be accompanied by your parent or guardian
ii. Have a pair of heels to walk in
iii. Prepare a no more than three-minute talent to present to selectors
iv. Walk with your Report Book for referencing academic performance
3. The Vieux Fort Carnival Association invites young artists and designers living in Vieux Fort to design a logo for the theme of the 2018 Vieux Fort Carnival Season, “Emergence: Unveiling Vieux Fort’s Euphoric Potential!”. The winning design will be unveiled at the press launch of Vieux Fort Carnival. Deadline for submissions is January 31, 2018. Submit your designs via email@example.com addressed to Tresha Lionel, PRO, Vieux Fort Carnival Association.
4. The Vieux Fort Carnival Association wishes to inform the general public of Vieux Fort that anyone wishing to operate a carnival band or J’Ouvert band and take part in the Ole Mas competition for the 2018 carnival season must attend a general meeting scheduled for Thursday, January 11, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. at the Vieux Fort Primary School. Persons interested in volunteering their services for the pageant and other components of Vieux Fort Carnival are also asked to attend. Let’s unleash the full potential of Vieux Fort Carnival!