Family members Dissatisfied with investigations in Teen’s Death

Family members are searching for answers after 17-year-old Delina Durga died last month. Durga’s loved ones gathered to celebrate her life on Wednesday at the Rambally’s Funeral Parlour but are still enveloped in sadness as the teen’s life ended prematurely.

According to reports, an autopsy revealed that Durga’s main cause of death (the teen was reportedly found unresponsive in her room) was due to a pulmonary embolism. (This occurs when a blood clot gets stuck in an artery in the lung, blocking blood flow to part of the lung).

In an interview this week, the teen’s mother Diane Durga expressed dissatisfaction with police investigations.

17-year-old Delina Durga

“So far they told me it does not look as though she was murdered or anything like that but then they didn’t get all the test results back. They said it was just natural causes due to blood clots in the lungs. This explanation just didn’t make any sense to me because she was very healthy, just ready to take on the world. I don’t think that that explanation made any sense,” Durga said.

The mother (who flew to Saint Lucia from Guyana) urged parents to get more involved in their children’s life adding that they might not always be okay.

“It’s always good to be there that’s why I wanted to be there for her. I wanted this child with me years ago but then the dad wasn’t allowing her to come by me, he kept her away from me for so long. I didn’t really bother too much about it because at the time I say you know what, she’s happy with him she’s comfortable, I had no reason to think that she wasn’t,” the mother said.

The teenager’s grandfather George Durga (who believes his granddaughter was killed) told reporters he requested “a head to toe check for my granddaughter” in order to find out if she was assaulted.

He said that he would be glad “if they could give me a full run down”, and that “it’s one month now (I’m) trying to find out and this thing (investigation) was stretching along.”

George Durga also flew to Saint Lucia from Guyana for the funeral.

Delina Durga (who resided in Beausejour, Gros Islet) is a former student of the Castries Comprehensive Secondary School. Family members are still trying to come to terms with her death.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Send this to a friend