THE National Association of Libraries and Information Professionals Saint Lucia celebrates National Library and Information Week (April 3 – 7, 2017). It is a time to celebrate the contributions of our nation’s libraries and information centres and library and information workers and to promote library and information centre use and support. From free access to books and online resources for families to library business centers that help support entrepreneurship and retraining, libraries offer opportunity to all.
The theme for 2017 National Library and Information Week is “Libraries and Information Centres Transform.”
First sponsored in 1958, National Library and Information Week is a national observance which has its origins in the USA. The event was first sponsored by the American Library Association (ALA) and libraries across the USA each April. This celebration has spread to other countries worldwide. All types of libraries and information centres- school, public, academic and special – participate every year in National Library and Information Week.
National Library and Information Week events
• Monday, April 3: Launch of Library and Information Week, Awards and Retreat
• Tuesday April 4: Various activities at Libraries and Information Centres around Saint Lucia
• Wednesday April 5: National Library and Information Workers Day (NLIWD). Libraries and their respective organisations are asked to celebrate their workers contributions.
NLIWD is a day for library staff, users, administrators and Friends groups to recognize the valuable contributions made by all library and information workers. To recognize the hard work, dedication, and expertise of library support staff and librarians, the Wednesday of National Library and Information Week is designated National Library and Information Workers Day. On that day, interested library workers, library groups, libraries and other Information workers and centres should advocate for better compensation for all library and information workers and, if the day coincides with National Pay Equity Day, these individuals, groups, and libraries should recognize both days together. This year National Equal Pay Day is Tuesday, April 4, 2017. This date symbolizes how far into the year women must work to earn what men earned in the previous year.
• Thursday April 6: Patron Appreciation Day @ your library/information Centres. Libraries and information centres try to show their love every day to patrons, but on April 6 they share the love in a special way.
• Friday April 7: Community day – visits to Anse la Raye Primary and Soufriere Comprehensive Secondary School to conduct Information Literacy sessions.
• Saturday April 8: Boat ride to Martinique.
There will also be a week-long display during Library and Information Week showcasing the activities and programmes of the public library which will take place at the Central Library corner of Micoud St. in Castries.
For further information, contact Ms Daisy St. Rose at 4523866.